At 42 years old, I find myself in the mix of four great struggles. I surely have much respect for the people that have kept these four areas of their lives in check:
- Sexual purity
- The handle of personal finances
- Physical Wellness
I find it amazing how, when we are young we walk in such arrogance, but as we get older we start to realize that we are really a mess. All of these four categories are deeply connected to one thing: “What we want!” The more we pursue what we want, the deeper we get into our mess. Sometimes I desire to have another chance and start over from childhood; but unless I can start with the privileges of knowing what I know today, I am sure that I will make the same mistakes all over again. The reality is that we get in trouble simply because we refuse to accept that God’s ways are irrevocably superior to ours. Let’s take a closer look at each of these categories:
- What God has to say about sexual purity? Ephesians 5:3-4 establishes that not even a hint of sexual immorality is allowed simply because; it is not good for us. How many people have engaged in relationships just because the sex is good, but then find themselves slaves to a tormented lifestyle of jealousy, endless arguments and even domestic violence? However, if we allow God to help us pursue sexual purity, we will enjoy a more satisfying, peaceful and deeper “love life” for it will not be sex as our primarily motive, but true love will become the centered factor in our marriages. But that is not what we do; we look for that beautiful woman that looks a certain way, with specific physical qualities and that sweet and special voice and we throw everything else out the door. If this system is working, why is the divorce rate increasing?
- Why do you think we have all of these problems with our economy? We can blame Bush or even Obama, but my personal financial issues are a direct product of my own doing; why? It is not complicated; I don’t need a degree in economy to figure this one out. I spend more money for my pleasures than what I have in terms of income? I wanted things and even when I couldn’t afford them, I would still buy them with credit as a direct violation to God’s Word, “Owe no man anything, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.” (Luke 13:8) The Government has very little to do with our financial issues. Let’s form an equation: sexual impurity = bad financial decisions = bad relationships.
- What about anger? Anger is the direct result of not getting what we want. (James 4:1-3) It is that simple! If we don’t get what we want, we get angry! Little by little we become consumed with selfishness and bound by wrath. Again, to add to our equation we can say: Sexual Impurity = Bad Relationships = Bad Finance’s Decisions = Anger and Wrath.
- Physical Wellness: Finally, let me give you an overview of the over Ten Billion Dollar a year Industry in the USA alone; that is: everything that has to do with the losing weight industry! I called it the Wellness Money Machine. We keep spending money in Gym’s Memberships, diets, pills, exercise equipment, etc. but there is a problem; it’s not working for the whole. http://www.helium.com/items/704229-a-proposal-to-end-obesity-in-american-children reports the following:
“The statistics are terrifying. In 2001, 25% of all white children were overweight, with 33% of all Hispanic children overweight as well. Up to 45% of newly diagnosed diabetes in children is Type II, the type connected to obesity.”
Latest Obesity Statistics
USA Obesity Rates Reach Epidemic Proportions
- 58 Million Overweight; 40 Million Obese; 3 Million morbidly Obese
- Eight out of 10 over 25’s Overweight
- 78% of American’s not meeting basic activity level recommendations
- 25% completely Sedentary
- 76% increase in Type II diabetes in adults 30-40 yrs old since 1990
|Obesity Related Diseases
- 80% of type II diabetes related to obesity
- 70% of Cardiovascular disease related to obesity
- 42% breast and colon cancer diagnosed among obese individuals
- 30% of gall bladder surgery related to obesity
- 26% of obese people having high blood pressure
Without a doubt these numbers are speaking loud and clear. What does the Bible has to say about our bodies? “What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.”
As we add to our equation what do we see?
Sexual Impurity = Bad Relationships = Bad Finance’s Decisions = Anger and Wrath = Bad Health = DEATH (Spiritual and Physical)
The order or even the equation itself is not important, as a matter of fact things could appear bountifully, but the end-result is all the same: DEATH.
How then do we change this Equation?
Salvation + Surrendering to God’s Will in Prayer = an amazing and abundant life even in the midst of great storms and tribulations.
There are many lessons to learn and many applications as we grow in the Knowledge of God and His Ways. For now, we must know that, it is God and only HIM who have the answers to all of our troubles. It is only “In Christ” that we will be able to find the freedom with real possibilities and an endless supply of His abundant life. The American Dream is limited to what you have and don’t have. God’s abundant life is present in-spite of the good times, in-spite of the bad times and in-spite of the ugly times. His abundant life is not subject to who is the President; if He is a Republican, Democrat, Tea Party Member, Black, Puertorrican, White, male or female. The abundant life is not limited by who loves or who hates you, the color of your skin or your socio-economic up-bringing. The Abundant life that Jesus freely offers, gives you peace in the mix of the storm, wisdom in the mix of great confusion, provision in the mix of famine and love in the mix of vicious attacks.
“The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.”