According to: http://www.now.org/issues/violence/stats.html
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE (Intimate Partner Violence or Battering)
Domestic violence can be defined as a pattern of abusive behavior in any relationship that is used by one partner to gain or maintain power and control over an intimate partner.3According to the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, women experience about 4.8 million intimate partner-related physical assaults and rapes every year.4 Less than 20 percent of battered women sought medical treatment following an injury.5
According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, which includes crimes that were notreported to the police, 232,960 women in the U.S. were raped or sexually assaulted in 2006. That’s more than 600 women every day.6 Other estimates, such as those generated by the FBI, are much lower because they rely on data from law enforcement agencies. A significant number of crimes are never even reported for reasons that include the victim’s feeling that nothing can/will be done and the personal nature of the incident.7
RAPE STATISTICS FACT SHEET FOR ADULTS
· 78 women are being raped each hour!
· One out of three women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime.
· The risk of rape is four times higher for women aged 16-24 than for any other age group
· Nine out ten rapes are never reported.
· An accused rapist is more likely to be acquitted than a person charged with any other violent crime.
· Statistically most rapists are repeat offenders.
· Over 50% of all rapes occur in a residence, often the victim’s own.
· Women who are assaulted need help and counseling to talk about the experience. “Forgetting about it” can lead to even more problems for the victim.
· Most rapists are not murderers. Of the women who chose to resist an attacker fewer than 9% sustain injuries more than a cut or a bruise.
· All women may be rape victims – age, race, socioeconomic status, appearance, and lifestyle are not deciding factors.
· In one study, 25% of the women assaulted were responding to requests for help by the assailant. Friendly, helpful women are the most vulnerable to an attack.
· The vast majority of sexual assaults are date and / or acquaintance rape (80-90%) as oppose to stranger rape.
· Every 9 seconds a woman is physically abused by a male who is either a spouse or boyfriend.
RAPE FACT SHEET FOR ADOLESCENTS
· Annually 1 to 1.5 million adolescent girls are raped in the U.S..
· 33% of the girls raped reported more than one assault.
· Statistics suggest only 5% of adolescent rapes are reported.
· Adolescent sexual assault occurs primarily within the context of a date.
· In a study for High School girls, they asked why girls gave in to the boy’s request for sex. The number one reason was because the girls didn’t know how to say “no” without hurting the boy’s feelings.
· Verbal pressure is the most common force used against adolescents.
· Most offenders were the same age as their victims.
·In approximately 80% of attempted rape cases, girls with any self-defense training avoided sexual contact.