“And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions.” Joel 2:28 (NIV)
These are the days of the Holy Ghost; the fulfillment of the promise announced by Prophet Joel. The Spirit of God has always been at work all through the Old Testament, but He came upon God’s people; the indwelling was non-existent yet. First Samuel 16:13 tells us “So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the LORD came powerfully upon David. Samuel then went to Ramah.” (NIV) Judges 14:5-6 tells us, “Samson went down to Timnah together with his father and mother. As they approached the vineyards of Timnah, suddenly a young lion came roaring toward him. The Spirit of the LORD came powerfully upon him so that he tore the lion apart with his bare hands as he might have torn a young goat. But he told neither his father nor his mother what he had done.” (NIV)
In the New Testament things changed as it refers to the Holy Ghost. John 14:17 tells us “the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.” (NIV)
3 Key Functions of the Holy Spirit
- He is here to help us (John 14:16)
- He is here to testify of Jesus (John 15:26)
- He is here to guide us into all truth (John 16:13)
It is understood that we will need help. There are times in our lives where nobody is around to help. Understand that the Holy Ghost is there for us. We are never alone or abandoned. This help is not limited to spiritual matters; it has no limits. From cleaning your house, your car, tasks at work, landscaping, college, etc. The Holy Ghost is our helper.
The Holy Ghost is focus on Jesus… you can’t go wrong if you follow the Spirit. You must, however, be aware that not everything you hear, no matter how wonderful it may sound, comes from God. You must confirm what you hear in the Word of God. Anything that rejects or contradicts Jesus is not of God. Be sensitive to the Holy Ghost!
This third function covers everything; it is the Holy Spirit that will guide you into all truth. Don’t believe the lies of the world; don’t run with every new doctrine; seek the Holy Ghost for truth. He will guide you into all truth.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23 (NIV)
- Pray for His fruit in your life: This is a prayer for character.
There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them.5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work. First Corinthians 12:4-6 (NIV)
2. Pray for His gifts to be manifested in your life: These gifts are for the edification of the church.
3. Pray for the Holy Ghost to use you in Ministry or service: Ministry should not be mystical; ministry does not require a 501 © (3) or a fancy name. Ministry takes place in our daily lives. Ask the Holy Ghost for opportunities to minister; to give without expecting anything in return.
4. Pray for the energy of the Holy Ghost to flow in you and through you: The word working is the Greek word where we get the word energy from. Don’t do things on your own, pray for the Holy Ghost to give you the energy to do all that you are called to do in a day, a week, a month, a year, a decade and for the rest of your life.
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. 2 Corinthians 13:14 (NIV)
5. Pray for fellowship with the Holy Ghost: None of these benefits will fully manifested in your life without this prayer focus. We are called to be in fellowship with the Holy Ghost. This is different than praying; you are literally hanging around the Holy Ghost all day long. He is talking, you are listening, you talk, and He listens. It is an intimate connection with the Spirit of God