Evil is real; it can’t be ignored; folks are either influence by evil, guided by evil or even possess by evil. The devil is the god of this world system. Second Corinthians 4:4 tells us, “The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.” (NIV)
Everything around us that is not of God, leads to evil; even the things that appear good lead to a doctrine that teaches that we do not need God. Jesus made it clear that even as we are in this world, we are not of it (John 17:16). The moment you step out of your house; out of your territory, you are stepping into the domain of the devil. It is extremely important that we understand that there are doors we can open to allow evil to directly affect our lives such as:
- Wrath: Psalm 37:8 tells us, “Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.” (ESV) Wrath and Anger are on the oppositive side of love. There are people in jails and prisons all around the world for what they did in a moment of anger. The Bible tells us to refrain from anger. Anger will come our way but refrain from its expression. If we push anger a little further, we will be stepping into wrath, that is, uncontrolled anger. The Bible does not tell us to refrain from wrath, the Bible tells us to forsake it. It is wrath that will lead us directly to evil.
- Rebellion: First Samuel 15:23 “For rebellion is as the sin of divination,
and presumption is as iniquity and idolatry…” (ESV) We better learn obedience, respect, submission, etc. To rebel against the authorities God has placed in our lives is in the same category as witcraft, iniquity and idolatry.
- Bad company: Psalm 141:4 “Do not let my heart incline to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds in company with men who work iniquity, and let me not eat of their delicacies!” (ESV) We are called to minister the gospel to the lost, but we MUST guard who we fellowship with. Bad company will lead to evil. Be careful!
- Eating the wrong food: Psalm 141:4 “Do not let my heart incline to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds in company with men who work iniquity, and let me not eat of their delicacies!” (ESV) This same verse also touched on the effect of certain foods in our behaviors. There are a lot of process or manmade foods that will negatively alter our moods. Watch what you eat!
- Speaking evil: James 3:6 tells us, “The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.” (ESV) What we say can be seen as seeds, either seeds of evil of seeds of blessings. If we speak evil, it will 1) corrupt our bodies, that is invite sicknesses. 2) Negatively affect our destiny in this life and 3) send us straight to hell. Watch your mouth!
- Selfishness: Romans 2:8 “but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury.” (ESV) Folks who are selfish do not care about anybody, but themselves. They are so selfish that they have no problems sacrificing the truth, they have no problems compromising. They will split hell wide open.
- Pride: Proverbs 16:18 “Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.” (ESV) Pride is placing yourself above God; just as the devil did; it will lead to destruction. These falls are wakeup calls to bring us to a place of humility; to recognize God as the Captain of your soul.
In conclusion, let’s be aware of these doors of evil and avoid them. Let’s add, in the form of petition that, as part of our prayers, God help us discern each one of these doors of evil and let’s walk in the blessing God has for us through our Lord and Saviors Jesus Christ.